Thursday, December 4, 2014

Journalistic Values II

An elderly woman calls the city desk and asks the newspaper not to publish her name or address in the story about a burglary at her home. She is afraid because she lives alone. Would you carry out your paper's policy of carrying her full name, age and address? Use only her name but no address address? Comply with her request?
For the most part, I would comply with her request. I would not print her name, but I will print her age, I will not print her address but I will print what area of the town she lives in and perhaps her street. The reason I would do that is because the burglar could be targeting elderly people who live alone, or be targeting her area. Not printing any information could be putting other people at risk to be burglerized.

No comments:

Post a Comment